Facts about Acne
- Nearly 50 million Americans suffer from acne.
- Acne breakouts peak at 14-17 years of age in girls and between 16 & 19 years in Boys
- 50% of adult women have acne which increases during pregnancy. Only 15% of Men suffer from acne
- 14% of women battle acne well into their 40s.
- 96% of acne sufferers believe there is a cure and Americans spend well over 1.4 billion dollars a year on acne products. Yet 40% of acne sufferers do nothing to treat their skin condition.
Contrary to popular belief, these methods actually make your acne worse
- Tanning: It’s hard to convince die-hard believers that tanning doesn’t clear up acne, and yet tanning – a dangerous practice that can lead to premature aging and cancer – temporarily camouflages acne breakouts and scars while setting the wheels in motion for more acne by increasing oil production. this creates endless and risky cycle for some more acne sufferers
- Over-washing: Acne isn’t a punishment for being dirty. Excessive washing and scrubbing will aggravate the skin, making it look worse while throwing off it’s natural balance. This could lead to further breakouts.
- Picking or Squeezing: Touching your face invites more bacteria to affected areas while squeezing at eruptions drives infectious material deeper into the skin, setting in motion a cycle that could end in cystic acne. Worse, picking and squeezing can cause permanent scarring.
- Excessive products: Using too much of a topical product won’t clear up acne faster; instead, too much product can cause excessive peeling, dryness, irritation, and redness
- Avoid Moisturizer & Sunscreen: This is a common issue among the acne-prone. Not using moisturizer – especially during acne treatment causes excessive dryness and an increase in oil production.