Life has given me so many limes, what do i do – Key lime tarts.
Actually, i went to my local grocer to grab a bag because i crave them so badly – tyhe punch you get from lime juice and zest is so refreshing, and with the huge feedback i got from my Eggplant and Tomato soup recipe i thought why not share this with you guys too.
Also you will notice i added toasted coconut crust into this recipe just to give it extra sweetness and coconut and lime compliment themselves so well in taste. you can choose to have your coconut raw, i just feel the color contrast was nice and it held together well when baked.
Once prepared, i let a few sit out 5-10 minutes to get a softer consistency. The rest went straight to the freezer and i have eaten them completely frozen solid. It’s even more crunchy and satisfying especially now during the summer.
Without further ado, i bring you my key lime tart and coconut recipe.
For the crust:
- 1.5 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 tbs vegan butter (I used smart balance-coconut spread)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1.5 tbs honey
For the filling:
- 1 cup cashews soaked and drained (soaked for at least an hour)
- Juice from 4-5 key limes
- 1.5 tbs key lime zest
- 4-5 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs vegan butter
- Begin by mixing all the ingredients for the crust in a food processor until well blended. Mixture should be slightly sticky.
- Press mixture into lined cupcake tin and place in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until desired color is achieved.
- Remove from oven and let cool while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients for filling in a food processor until the mixture is completely smooth. For a more runnier mixture (which is easier for pouring), you can add 2 tbs milk of choice or water.
- Once crust has completely cooled, pour filling on top and place in freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Once frozen, remove from freezer and let defrost for about 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with lime zest or coconut flakes as desired. Enjoy!